Friday, October 28, 2011
Vegan "Almond Joy" Bars
This recipe is insanely simple, completely decadent, and it's vegan! Happy Halloween Weekend!
1 1/2 cups vegan chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life brand)
1 tsp coconut milk
1 tsp maple syrup
1 1/4 cups shredded coconut, unsweetened
2-3 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup vegan buttery spread (I used Earth Balance)
1/3 cup roasted/salted almonds
1. In a saute pan, add the coconut to dry pan. Toast and stir around over high heat for a minute.
2. Reduce heat to medium and add in maple syrup, brown sugar, vegan butter. Stir around to melt butter.
3. Add the coconut milk and continue stirring until coconut browns a bit and absorbs all the liquid. Do a taste test and add another splash of maple syrup if you like a sweeter filling. Turn off heat and set aside.
4. Line a baking pan with wax paper. I used a dish about 4" x 8".
5. Add all chocolate ingredients to mug. Microwave for 25 seconds. Remove mug and stir briskly until all the chips melt. Heat for another few seconds if needed. You can also use a double broiler if you'd prefer.
6. Spread a very thin layer of chocolate on the bottom of wax paper. Add the coconut over that and spread to about 3/4" thick layer. Dot in the almonds. Spread a thicker layer of chocolate. Do this carefully so as not to mess up the coconut layer. Swirl to smooth.
7. Coat a butter knife with olive oil and slice the filling into bars - this will make then easier to slice after frozen.
8. Freeze for about 20-30 minutes or overnight.