Friday, July 15, 2011
A Perfect Ab Blaster
If you feel like your abs need a bit of a workout try this simple exercise:
Single Leg Stretch
1. Sit in the center of your mat (or towel) with your knees bent. Take hold of your right leg with your left hand on the knee and your right hand on the ankle. (This will keep your leg in proper alignment with your hip.)
2. Roll your back down to the mat, bringing your bent leg with you.
3. Extend your opposite leg out in front of you and hold it above (not touching) the mat at an angle that allows your back to remain flat on the mat (especially your lower back).
4. With your elbows wide and your chin lifted to your chest (imagine you are holding a lemon under your chin), inhale and watch as your navel sinks seep into your spine.
5. Imagine you are anchored to the floor below by your torso.
6. Exhale and switch legs, bringing the left hand to the ankle and the right hand to the left knee. Stretch your extended leg long out of your hip and in line with the center of your body.
7. Repeat 10 times on each side for a total of 20 repetitions.
8. Note on breathing and timing: "inhale (switch), inhale (switch), exhale (switch), exhale (switch)". The exercise should be fairly fast-paced.
Target Muscles: Abs, Obliques
Have a healthy and happy weekend! XO
Photo: Fitness Magazine