Monday, July 18, 2011

Avoiding Post-Workout Breakouts



Breaking a good sweat during a workout always feels great but how do you avoid breakouts as a result of all that sweating? Here are some tips to help you avoid post-workout breakouts:

1. Don't wear makeup while working out. This is especially true for face makeup (like foundation). When the body sweats the pores on the skin open up. So, if there's makeup on your skin your pores can become easily clogged, resulting in breakouts.

2. Shower or wash your face immediately after working out so bacteria doesn't get a chance to work its way into your pores.

3. Avoid touching your face. You don't want the germs that were all over the treadmill to get on your face, do you?

4. Wear clothes made from breathable materials that allow for moisture-wicking so the sweat doesn't just sit on your skin.

5. Make sure your workout clothes are clean. Enough said.

6. Try conditioning before you wash your body. If you're like me, you like to leave your conditioner in as long as possible in the shower then rinse it off last thing. But if you think about it, when you rinse off the conditioner it all runs down your back. If you are having problems with breakouts on your back, consider switching up your routine.

7. Wear an oil-free sunscreen. If you run or walk outside, make sure your sunscreen is oil free. Don't skip the sunscreen, though, because overexposure to the sun stimulates the production of oil in the oil glands of your skin! I like this Kiehl's one.

8. Drinks lots of water! I know, I know... I sound like a broken record but I just had to sneak this one in here :).

9. Exfoliate 2-3 times per week. This will insure you don't have any dead skin laying around clogging up your pores. I like to use this Neutrogena scrub along with my Clarisonic face brush. For my body I use this Peter Thomas Roth scrub (which smells amazing and banishes any and all blemishes).


10. Try using a toner after you wash your face. My friend Ashley recently introduced me to this Clinique toner. It makes your face feel tingly and fresh and oh-so-clean.

What are your tips for keeping your skin clear?

Photos: Cosmoskinrx.com, Clarisonic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like: Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...