Friday, June 24, 2011

Do or Don't: Barefoot Running Shoes




Recently, I've been seeing more and more people wearing these Vibram FiveFingers on my runs. Although I have to admit they're not exactly the most aesthetically pleasing of footwear, the reasons to wear them do make sense. According to their website, barefoot running shoes:


1. Strengthen the muscles of the feet and lower legs


2. Improve range of motion in the ankles, feet, and toes


3. Stimulate neural function important to balance and agility


4. Eliminate heel lift to align the spine and improve posture


5. Allow the foot to move naturally


Sounds pretty great, don't you think? You can wear them for running, walking, yoga, Pilates, and cross training. Would you wear them?


Photo: Vibram FiveFingers

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Elaine! I love my Vibrams. I'm running in them everyday and my hip rarely hurts. They're the best, and their aesthetics start to come around the more you wear them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a pair of those! I've noticed the benefits mentioned above when I run barefoot on the sand. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like: Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...